Sunday 27 May 2012

The Snozberries Taste Like Snozberries

Last summer, while enormously pregnant and unemployed, I started an amateur baking business called Sweets! By Sarah and sold my treats at the Musquodoboit Harbour Farmer's Market. Business boomed (relatively speaking) so I continued to pump out cupcakes, cookies, and cinnamon buns until my aching back and swollen feet made me call it quits.

The same summer market is starting up again in a couple weeks, so I've decided to dust off my old recipe book and give the business another go. I've acquired a new business partner, Sadie McBakerson, who will either be the key or the absolute downfall of my venture.





So what does this mean for my loyal readers out there? Why, more of my butter-filled, sugar-packed (but totally calorie-free) recipes, of course!

I slightly tweaked the following cupcake recipe from The Busty Baker, which in turn, has been adapted from Julie Hassen's 125 Best Cupcake Recipes. I stumbled upon this recipe and decided to try it out, hoping to incorporate it into my baking repertoire. I like to think I invented the frosting recipe myself, although I'm sure the same recipe can be found somewhere else on the internet.

The Razzle Dazzles - Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes With Raspberry Buttercream Frosting

Cupcake Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa 
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup sugar

1 egg
1/2 cup veggie oil
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup frozen raspberries (or fresh, but I'm cheap!)

1/4 cup raspberry jam
1 tsp vanilla

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Instructions:
I usually perform the "dump and mash" technique when baking, but since I'm trying to make money off of these bad boys, I thought I'd be a good girl and stick to the recipe.
Mix the first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Beat the last 8 ingredients together in another bowl (I use a handheld electric mixer). Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and beat until smooth. Fill large cupcake liners 3/4 full, then bake for 25 minutes at 350ยบ.


Frosting Ingredients:
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups icing sugar

Instructions:
Beat the first 3 ingredients together until creamy. Gradually add icing sugar and beat at a low speed until smooth.


Last but not least, ice the cupcakes as you desire. I chose the "pink, swirly turd" look. I also added a schtickle of cream cheese icing and a fresh raspberry on top.


They sure don't taste like turds! The cupcakes are chocolaty, moist, and packed with raspberry flavor. This recipe's a keeper, and will be a fine addition to my market menu.

Just to be sure, I better sample a couple more...

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm! Sounds delish! I will have to give them a try sometime (as in probably make them myself instead of making it out to buy some unfortunately...). Love the pic of Sadie, and glad to hear you are going to be doing the baking again!
    C

    ReplyDelete